How have we treated our own injuries? A friend taught us how to make a comfrey root compress to heal Michael's shoulder and now we'd love to share it with you.
WHAT IS COMFREY ROOT?
Comfrey is a powerful plant medicine mostly grown in the United Kingdom. "Comfrey was once commonly called Knitbone because of its amazing ability to heal broken bones and “knit” them back together again. The botanical name, Symphytum, means “to unite.” The incredible healing action this plant has on broken bones and wounds comes from a constituent contained in the leaf and root called allantoin. This compound is a cell proliferant which helps to regenerate wounded areas of the body and speed up new healthy cell growth."
BENEFITS OF COMFREY ROOT according to https://draxe.com/comfrey/
1. Helps with joint inflammation
2. Can help with broken bones
3. Speeds healing of bruises and contusions
4. Pain relief
5. Potentially aid in treatment of fibromyalgia
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE A COMPRESS?
HOW TO MAKE
1. If using bandage, cut the paper of the bandage to expose just the non-sticky part. Use the pieces of paper to cover the other sticky parts. If using a cloth, spread on the middle of it.
2. Take equal part of powder and equal part of water, heat up just a little bit, and mix to make the paste. (We use 2 tablespoons of comfrey powder and 2 tablespoons of water for the shoulder or knee for example.)
3. Use a spoon to spread the poultice onto the bandage or cloth.
4. Spread the calendula ointment on top of poultice to keep it from itching.
5. Apply bandage/cloth to the area of the inflammation.
6. If using cloth, use safety pins to securely tie.
7. Leave on the compress up to 72 hours and refresh as needed.
HOW NOT TO USE COMFREY ROOT COMPRESS
1. Never apply to an open wound.
2. Do not ingest comfrey root. It has chemicals that can poison the liver so avoid if on liver medications.
3. Do not use if pregnant or breastfeeding.
GET SUPER ROOTSY AND GROW YOUR OWN COMFREY!
Here is a great DIY website to learn how to grow and care for your own.
All information, content, and material of this website is for informational purposes only and are not intended to serve as a substitute for the consultation, diagnosis, and/or medical treatment of a qualified physician or healthcare provider.
If you would like VIP treatment, we offer the comfrey root compress as an add-on! Click on the button below to email us your availability.
Leave a Reply.
About the writer:
Marisa loves hoop dancing, riding her bicycle, playing, hosting gatherings, practicing yoga, traveling, meeting people, eating, and savoring dark chocolate covered strawberries and coconut ice cream. She strives to be fully present, compassionate, and act and connect from a place of love.